Monday, February 15, 2010

Birthday countdown!





The birthday party is in four days!! I am a girl who thrives off of last minute pressure, but even I will admit now that I'm getting a little bit nervous. Happily the birthday skirts are now both made. Both shirts are conceptualized, and I can probably have them completed in about an hour. But what about crowns? What about birthday party favors? What about the CAKES??? And how about the apron that Ruby just asked me if I could make for her, in time for her birthday?

Four days certainly doesn't seem long enough anymore.

About this second skirt. I found the pattern HERE. I was drawn to it for two reasons, first of all the sash. I really wanted a skirt with a big bow on it. And secondly, I was very intrigued by the design, that it had a flat waistband in the front, and an elasticized waistband in the back. This was a technique/idea that I really wanted to learn more about.






For those two reasons, the patterns was very satisfying. But when it came time to attach the skirt to the waistband, I realized, I did not like the proportion of gathering/pleating involved. In my opinion it makes the skirt too bulky. And while the author of the patterns warns you about this, and steers you towards hand pleating the skirt versus gathering it, I still wasn't that thrilled with the final pleated results. It's just too much skirt to attach to the waistband.

In the end, I could have figured out this pattern on my own. I've made so many of these Twirly Skirts, from the "Going Sew Crazy" tutorial (which is a great tutorial once you get all the math figured out), that I really had the experience and know-how to figure it out. But I got lazy, and wanted to just have the answer handed to me. Don't get me wrong, I think the skirt looks adorable. And I still love the concept of the flat fronted waistband. I guess my second version of the Kristine skirt will be my favorite version. But this one will certainly make Friday's party festive!!




And that's all I've got to say about the "Kristin" pattern.

P.S. I think the sashes are about two inches too short. Note to self for the next time I make one!

5 comments:

Lori said...

oh my gosh absolutely love the skirt! The material choice and the sash---so cute!

Brooke said...

Annee - I'm supposed to let you know that maybe you should wait until Grandma Lark's present comes in the mail before you kill yourself making an apron....especially considering what Maggie got for her birthday this year!
Everything looks great!
Brooke

Liz said...

Love, love, love it! The skirt and the shirt are darling. Jane and Ruby are going to be seriously stylish 5 year olds!

Annee said...

Thanks for the "thought" Brooke. I may go ahead and wait...it certainly would save me time!

NicoleD said...

Soooo cute! They are going to look fabulous on their birthday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...