Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It was raining today...

...and we don't have a car, so I sewed some more stuff.  Plus, we have only 12 days left!  I'm beginning to get serious about crossing things off of my list! 



Jane has not been so patient waiting for her tank dress to be done.  Please ignore the splash of water, things were rushed during the photo shoot :)  She wants it to have a flower on it, like Ruby's, but she also wanted to wear it today. 

Isn't it funny how a little project like this becomes the biggest thorn in your side.  Or maybe it's uniquely my problem because I'm often having to sew two of the same thing.  I'm excited about doing something once, but having to do it a second time is usually a lot less fun, and more work.  It needs the flower for sure.  It definitely looks a little plain right now.  Stay tuned for that...


Once I got the dress done, which felt like a "HAD" to do item, I got to sew something from the WANTED to sew list.  I have visions of new summer skirts twirling around in my head.  Here is the first one.  After spending far too long reading through online tutorials, I finally settled upon this one, from Grand Revival.  I love the design.  She has come up with a really great way of attatching the second tier of ruffles.  I loved the tutorial for that.  But beyond that, it's not a tutorial for everyone, that's for sure!  You have to read through it pretty carefully to understand the construction process.  And then, if you're a beginner, she totally leaves out the basic reminder steps about things like, finishing your seams, or ironing.  Since I'm not a beginner anymore, I remembered to do those things on my own.  But that's why I might only cautiously recommend this tutorial.  Also, sadly, she has it only sized for a size 5/6 skirt.  If anyone wants to try it, and needs help/recommendations on how to size it down or up, I could certainly let you know how to do that.

Next time around, I need to make mine longer (I would lengthen the top layer by an inch, and the bottom layer by at least 2).  This is a lesson I should definitely know by now.  My ladies are long!  Longer than your average 5/6 sized skirt.  Oh well, it's still super cute.  I'll try to get some red carpet pictures the next time it's worn. 

I've got ruffles on my mind.  I think we have more ruffled skirts in our future. 

1 comment:

Liz said...

Super cute tank dress!!

I made the Grand Revival skirt for Grace last year in the fall, and had the same feeling about the tutorial - it's definitely not for everyone. Thank goodness you are an experienced seamstress!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...