Wednesday, September 29, 2010

100% Whole Wheat Pizza!



Here in Northern CA, we are having a heat wave.  I actually think we are at the end of it, but I haven't turned my oven on for a week, because I don't want it to heat my house.  But, before the heat, I started making pizza every Friday night.  My husband is a little bit of a health food junkie and has been asking me if I could make a whole wheat pizza dough.  I've tried a couple of recipes, but most of them are dry and tasteless.

This one is so tasty, and for a girl who loves pizza dough (the white kind) this one is really good.

Now, I do have a secret ingredient for making this whole wheat pizza dough tasty.  White Whole Wheat Flour.  It's tasty and healthy.  Trader Joe's makes a good one, but I'm sure you can find it at most major supermarkets.

White WW flour comes from white spring wheat instead of red wheat.  You can read more about it here.



Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour - sifted!!!

1 envelope dry active yeast

1 1/4 tsp kosher salt

2 generous tablespoons olive oil

2 generous tablespoons honey

Mix yeast with 1 cup hot water.  Let the yeast activate - approximately 15 minutes.  While yeast is activating, combine 1 cup flour and kosher salt.  Add yeast, olive oil, and honey.  Add flour one cup at a time and if needed  add a tablespoon until dough is springy and smooth.  Place dough in greased container, turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise until tripled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hrs.

Cook on a pizza stone for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

If you are going to make the pizza dough, you have to try this sauce.  I bought a jar of pizza sauce, and it can't touch this sauce.  It's easy, tangy, and simply delicious!!

Tasty Tomato Pizza Sauce


1 can  (28 ounces) plum tomatoes

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

fresh ground pepper, to taste

Using a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes.  In saucepan sauté garlic in olive oil briefly.  Add tomatoes.  Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cook uncovered for 15 minutes.  Add herbs and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.  **This recipe makes enough for a large pizza or two medium pizzas.  It also freezes nicely.**

You can add any toppings you like.  Our favorite is this sausage.  I remove it from the casing and brown it.



We also add black olives, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese on top.

Hopefully our heat wave will be long gone by Friday, so I can get back to my weekly pizza night.  My mouth is watering just thinking about this pizza!!

3 comments:

Andrea from The Train To Crazy said...

Yum! that looks delicious!

Annee said...

I'm trying it, maybe even today! We are not in the middle of a heat wave, FINALLY. Now we're in the middle of a torrential down pour. Turning the over on sounds cozy.

Thanks for the hot tip!!

Sarah said...

I love white wheat flour!! My mom makes her pizza dough this way, but she grinds her own wheat. I didn't know you could get it at the supermarket though. I'll have to look for it and try your recipes!! we love that chicken sausage! MMMM.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...