Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer sewing.

I don't know how summer sewing is working out for you, but it's not exactly going according to my "plan" around here.  Often times, I'll think I'm sneaking out to my sewing garage to work on something, and before long, two little ladies have found their way out there as well.  I shouldn't mind.  After all, I'm trying to set an example about creativity around here.  But sometimes, I really want to get something done.  And rarely what I want to get done, and what they think I should make, match up.  Case in point; I think I was going to try to make something cute for the girls for the 4th of July.  Note the red-white-and-blue fabric.  In the end, Cinderella ended up with this really smashing outfit.  And as per usual, once it was done, Ruby was depressed that it was too big on the top (and it kind of was).  I was too frustrated to go pick anything apart, so I just folded the straps over, and sewed right across them.  To be sure, this is not one of my finest moments of sewing, but it illustrates my point.



Yeah, my piping got stuck going the wrong direction.  Again, wasn't going to un-pick anything.  This was supposed to be a quick project!  I thought, to salvage the afternoon, and after appeasing Ruby, that I could still make Ruby something matching to her doll.  But soon enough, Jane found out what was going on in the sewing garage and starting picking out fabric, zippers and trim for her doll dress.  And that's when I just said, "Let's go to the pool".  

Anyway, do you need to make a dress for your little dolls?  It might be essential.  If you do, might I steer you towards this super helpful free pattern, right HERE.  It really was a great, easy pattern.  Had I been in a better mood about the whole thing, I might have been super excited about this project!

Let me also point out, you can just as easily put in velcro instead of the zipper.  Ruby even wondered why I hadn't done that.  She told me all of her other doll clothes had velcro.  I told her since this was homemade, it was supposed to be better than her other clothes.  But I don't think she totally agreed.  

Oh well.  I'm surrendering.  I will sew here and there.  There will be an occasional burst of sewing creativity.  But mostly it's summer time, and I'm mom to four kids, who are home, all day long.  In case you were wondering.  I shouldn't lose sight of that.  

When I found a quiet moment today, I pulled back out my quilt!  It's going to get done.  Today I worked on the backing.  Did you see the dresser I painted?  I purposely painted it to match my quilt.  Every time I walk into my room and see the dresser, I think, "I should finish my quilt".  I keep telling Liz every week my goal is to finish my quilt.  And every week, it doesn't happen.  I'm changing that goal.  Now, the new goal is to finish it by the end of summer.  That's just the pace around here.  

Lastly, I've had some questions about the envelop style diaper clutch.  I don't have a specific tutorial for the clutch going in this direction.  I just used a wipes case as my template to create pattern pieces from.  After that, I mostly used the directions from this tutorial, to help me figure out how to make it.  



If I ever get around to it, I should go ahead and make a tutorial.  I feel like there is no shortage of diaper clutch tutorials out there, but maybe there is a shortage for the clutch going in this direction?  But not before I finish my quilt :)  

2 comments:

Sarah said...

It sounds like your sewing days are similar to my sewing days around here. Cinderella's dress is lovely! And a zipper too!! I love your come back about home made things made better :) Good luck on finishing your quilt.

Liz said...

Um...I've tried to comment on this for a couple of days. My baby hasn't really let me put him down for very long since you posted this.

Anyway, I'm just impressed that you attempted doll clothes, and even though the fit isn't perfect, the dress is still adorable. I like the red, white, and blue fabric.

I love my diapee and wipee holder, and I think it's easier to get diapers and wipes out of the holder you made me then the kind that are vertical with an opening at top. I'd love a tutorial, but I won't need one for at least six months!!!

Here's to your quilt getting done before the end of summer?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...