Monday, August 15, 2011

Back? and Back To School

Hello!  I've been in my sewing room, or rather I've moved my sewing machine to the dining room table so I can be in the center of the chaos should I choose to sew.  Last week the Italian took the two oldest to his parent's house, and I was home alone with baby Henry.  While it wasn't quite the same as his last trip where I sewed everything my heart desired, I was able to get something made which made me so happy.  I'm in love with my new little baby, but the repetition of feeding, changing, swaddling, sleeping (or trying to get him to sleep) was in desperate need of something else.  Something that allowed for me to be more creative.

Sew the Italian took off, and I got to work during nap time.  It's Back To School time and I have a kindergartner who I believe needs an extensive BTS wardrobe.  I've purchased some clothes, but I really wanted to make her some as well.  I know in a few short years wearing handmade clothes by me might not be as cool to Grace as it is to me.



I made Grace another Tank Top Dress using leftover Tina Givens fabric I had from my mom's pajama pants.




I love the owls.  Just love them.  I am a tad bit sad that I made the dress a bit short.  Grace wasn't here to measure, and I went based on the last Tank Top Dress, but it still ended up a little short.  Darn.  Oh well.



Grace also requested a fancy hairstyle to go with her new dress.  French braiding is about as fancy as I get!



I then made another wreath.  I've been the banner queen before, and now I think I'm moving in the direction of wreath queen.  I made this Back To School one and I've also made a birthday one that I'll share later this week.  Anyway, this wreath was SO easy.  It takes no sewing and can be completed in an hour.



I took what was left of one of my favorite fabrics.  It's Dick and Jane by Michael Miller.  I thought it was perfect for the start of school.  I cut what I had into 3 inch wide strips.



Then I took plain pins and wrapped the fabric around a 14 inch straw wreath.  This took honestly 15 to 20 minutes.  Sadly, I only had approximately a fat quarters and a 1/2 of fabric left, so if you look closely in some of these pictures you can see some of my pins.  If I had all the time in the world, I would probably re-wrapped the wreath, but my time was limited, so I went with it.  Probably if I didn't tell you you wouldn't have noticed??







The longest part of the process was making the fabric rosettes.  Using this tutorial, I made 3 rosettes and then hot glued them to the wreath.




I debated on putting a mini bunting saying something like "learn" or "school" on the wreath, but I ended up keeping it simple.  I could always add one.  Opinions??



So there you have my comeback or what might be my comeback.  Who knows.  But I do have stuff to share later this week, and I have a sneaky suspicion that Annee might have a finished quilt adorning her bed.  Crossing my fingers for a big reveal!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Cute, cute. And another wreath tute. You ARE getting to be the wreath queen. So glad you are getting your sewing therapy.

Diana said...

Hi thought I would check in. MJ is sick so I'm sitting here catching up on blogging... hope all is well. The dress and wreath look great! See you in a week! Diana

Annee said...

It's so great to have you back! Thanks for the wreath tutorial. I should make a new one, since I still have my 4th of July one up right now. Embarrassing!

I love Grace's request for fancy hair to go along with her fabulou new dress. It was cracking me up because when Ruby was posing in her new mini-Maxi dress, she asked me for a fancy hair-do as well. I however do not have the french braiding skills that you have. Maybe a tutorial for that next?! Just kidding :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the wreath - what cute fabric!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...