Monday, January 9, 2012

Minky Quilts



I recognize it's only the 9th day of January, but I'm a little sad that it's been 9 days into the New Year, and I have done nothing in my sewing room other then clean it.  It definitely needed a cleaning, but cleaning isn't nearly as exciting as sewing.  I have high hopes that this week my sewing machine will see some attention, but my darling little baby needs to stop waking up so much in the night and getting up so early in the morning.  



To help motivate me to get back into my sewing room, I'm sharing my favorite project from Christmas - Minky Quilts for my two oldest.  I've had two cuts of minky fabric that I bought in the LA Fabric District in my stash since last November.  Grace and George play with the minky all the time, so I thought for Christmas I'd turn them into quilts.


For the quilt tops I used Cluck Cluck Sew's Disappearing 9 Patch.  Have you tried it?  It's so quick and so easy.


Making the quilt tops were easy.  It was the actual quilting that I thought was going to cause me a headache because minky can be a pain to use.  However, I omitted batting, used a TON of quilting adhesive, and then used my walking foot to quilt my minky quilts.  I also liked the look of this quilt that Allison made, so I did straight line quilting on my minky quilts.  


In the end, I would say these quilts were really easy to make.  Even quilting with minky wasn't that bad.  I almost think I'll make another minky quilt for baby Henry when he gets older.


As for fabrics, I used Aneela Hoey's Sherbet Pip for Grace's quilt.  I love this fabric.


And for George's I used Sarah Jane's Children at Play.  Another favorite fabric of mine.


I need to figure out what my first project for the new year will be, but for tonight sleep is going to win out!

2 comments:

Annee said...

I'll bet leaving out th batting had something to do with how well they quilted. That is a great tip! They turned out so well. Love everything about them.

Sarah said...

Those turned out great! I've been curious about quilting with minky. So glad it worked out. I love those prints...Especially on George's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...